Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Jinxed Us AGAIN!!!

I thought this picture went with this entry...Nick looks so seroius!


Well…you’d think I would have learned my lesson last time! Nicholas and I spent most of our day at Primary Children’s Hospital yesterday! John met us up there after work. Nick started refusing to eat or drink yesterday afternoon. He did this last time before we took him in to the hospital, so I immediately called the doctor. I talked with Donna Lee (the nurse), my new best friend, about what was going on. She was concerned that Nicholas was still throwing up. She hadn’t heard from me over the weekend (which is unusual!!) that he was still throwing up, so she thought he was better. Donna Lee spoke with the doctor and they were both concerned that he had been sick so many times in such a short period of time. So, they told me to go right to Primary Children’s. They said for me to tell them to call them because they wanted X-rays and a few other tests done. I asked if I should wait until John got home, which would be a few hours. They said no, so I packed Nick and headed on the familiar route up to the Primary Children’s Hospital.

When we got to Primary I told them what was going on and that we had been in several times already for the same symptoms in less than 2 months. They looked us up in the computer and looked a bit concerned. That was OH SO reassuring! The waiting room was slammed, so they told me that they’d get a room ready ASAP. We sat there as everyone else was called back. Finally, we were called. I started to head to the ER doors that I know so well, but they waved me to another set of doors. Immediately panic started to set in. As we walked through the “other” doors, I noticed that they said “RTU” which stands for Rapid Treatment Unit. Ah yes, the RTU, I have heard about it every time we have been in to Primary. The doctors always warned me that Nicholas may have to go there overnight to fully recover. I started to prepare myself that this might be the night that Nicholas had to stay over. We were taken to a room that much nicer (for a hospital room that is!) and bigger than our ER rooms. We even had our own bathroom. As we walked in, a doctor and 2 nurses followed us in. From there it was a whirlwind. They asked tons of questions and ordered TONS of tests (much more than usual). I didn’t even have to tell them to call Dr. Kelly; they ordered X-rays, etc. on their own. Within minutes, Nick had a catheter, IV, blood tests, and X-rays. He was such a good little guy, he didn’t cry too much when he was being poked and prodded. He even seemed to know that he was getting an IV (how sad!). He just watched the nurses get the things ready on the table and stuck his hand right out when they came to him. The nurses were amazed…they had never had a baby just put out his hand for them to poke (he pulled it away a few times, but didn’t put up a fight at all. It was almost a game to him.). Nick’s main nurse, Kim, could tell that I was a bit anxious. She explained everything that they were doing and warned me that depending on the test results, we may have to stay overnight. She reassured me that she would be there all night and that Nicholas would be very well taken care of. Kim helped a lot, but I still did not want him to have to stay overnight.



Nicholas was happy to see his Daddy when John got there. After a while, the doctor came in and told us that most of the tests came back good, but they saw something on the X-ray that they wanted to check out. He thought Nick might have Intussusception (where a part of the intestine folds inward and into itself likes a telescope). Unfortunately, we knew what this was already because our friend’s son Brennan went through this not too long ago :0( The doc ordered an ultrasound so they could get a better look. Luckily, the technician told us while the test was going on that he did not see anything. But, the doctor said that Nicholas could still have Intermittent Intussusceptions where it could be unfolding itself. GREAT! Then, the doc wanted to see if Nick could keep anything down, so they brought in a popsicle, apple juice, and crackers. He gobbled everything down and kept it down, so that was good. The doctor said that since Nicholas was able to eat and drink, we could go home. But, he wanted us to get Nick into his doctor ASAP and to have an Upper GI test done again (this is the test where he was strapped to a board and had to drink Barium when he was only a few days old...remember that trauma!?). I was happy that Nick did not have to stay overnight, but frustrated that we still have no idea what is causing him to throw up all the time!! We’re going into the doctor tomorrow (we decided to give him a day off from medical testing!) so I will let you know what we find out then! Poor Nicholas :0( Hopefully we’ll get a diagnosis soon!!! More soon…

No comments: