
Now...you might wonder how much I can write about Nicholas having Reflux. Let's remember who we are dealing with here! Shall I start from the beginning? Ok, a few weeks ago, Nicholas started spitting up what looked like everything he had just eaten. He was doing it after every feeding. I was good at first, I didn't even call the doctor right away! After it had gone on a few weeks, I decided to call and see if this was normal. They said to give it another week and if it did not stop, I they wanted to see him. Well...it did not stop. So, I took Nick in last week. The doctor told me that he wanted me to take Nick to Primary Children's Hospital to have an "Upper GI" x-ray done. Believe it or not, I did not freak out. He had already had an x-ray when we took him to the ER, so I was cool with it. I even told John that I could take him by myself. Wow...I was being so grown up about it :0)
So, the day of the "x-ray" came and I was still feeling pretty good about it. I should have known things were going to be stressful when Nicholas cried the whole way to the hostptal. It was really unusual, he usually falls asleep right away right when we start driving. Then, I could not figure out how to get to the hospital (it is not the one where he was born). The final sign that things were not going to be as easy as I thought was when the technician and doctor came out to get us for the "x-ray". These were their exact words, "Should we wait for your husband?" When I said that John was not coming and they looked at each other with horror, I knew I was in for it. Then, they asked if anyone I know could come to the hospital within the next few minutes. They told me that most moms have a hard time with this test (at least they said most moms and had not figured out that I am crazier than most moms!!!)! As it turns out, an "Upper GI x-ray" is not just a simple x-ray like I thought. Here is what actually happens...
First, they tied (well...wrapped) Nicholas to a board with ace bandages. Now, I usually have my camera in the diaper bag, but for some reason I did not have it that day. I wish I did so I could just show a picture of what he looked like. But, basically, he looked like a little mummy! They had wrapped his legs down and his arms were wrapped down above his head. They said that he needed to be on the board so they could move him around easily for the test. Needless to say, Nicholas and I did not handle this very well. We were both crying hysterically! After Nick was mummified, things proceeded to get worse. They told me that Nicholas was going to have to drink Barium so we could watch it go through his system. Now, I thought that Nick would not want to drink the nasty Barium, but that boy just started chugging it! The doctor said that is why they ask you not to feed the baby 2 hours before the test...that way they are so hungry that they will eat anything. They even had to slow Nick down...he was going to town on his Barium bottle..haha! After that, Nicholas only cried when they took his Barium away! I, on the other hand, cried for the entire procedure. They were flipping him up and down and all around on the table. It was just too much for me to handle...seeing him all tied up. Really long story short...he has reflux and hopefully he'll grow out of it in a few months!!
The picture is of my boys that night.



1 comment:
Oh wow, that sounds scary. That's alot for that little tyke to go through so early in life but I am sure the docs will fix your little boy right up. You know this is probably so ridiculous but I wasn't surprised when you said that he loved the barium because whenever we did GI series with dogs they loved that stuff and the barium itself used to make them feel so much better since it coats the stomach. It's like pepto but way more expensive. I am happy to hear you are loving motherhood. I knew you'd be great at it. Anyone who puts so much love and effort into their turtles and pup, surely would devote everything to their baby. You should bring the kid down to San Diego when he gets older. He'll feel more at home with his Latin roots. HA! I couldn't help myself. Best Wishes
:) Nicole
Post a Comment